Herman Miller Embody Chair, Graphite
designed by Bill Stumpf and Jeff Weber
Open Box. No product issues
Assembly Option|Ready To Assemble
Arms|Fully Adjustable Arms
Fabric and Color|Balance Carbon
Embody was designed with the input of more than 30 physicians and PhDs in biomechanics, vision, physical therapy, and ergonomics, so the Embody office chair is serious business. Research even proves that it increases blood circulation to improve oxygen flow and lower your heart rate.
The Embody work chair is the modern benchmark for pressure distribution, natural alignment, and healthy movement. Instead of locking you into the seat, this modern ergonomic office chair combines active and passive ergonomics to encourage effortless long-term sitting. Its signature spinal design lets you manually fine-tune the fit to your back while the matrix of pixels in the seat and back automatically conform to your micro-movements.Product Highlights
- Embody’s back is designed with a central spine and flexible ribs for full spinal support.
- Smooth tilt mimics body's natural pivot points for better balance and comfort.
- Narrow tapered design of the back allows for freer movement.
- Four breathable layers in the seat for cushioned comfort and enhanced airflow.
- Manufactured at a 100% Renewable Electric Energy facility. Made of 42% recycled materials; 95% recyclable at end of useful life.
- 12-year warranty.
- Fully Adjustable Arms: Allows you to set the height of the arms from 6.5 inches to 11.5 inches from the seat to minimize shoulder strain. Arms also adjust outward from 12 inches apart to 21 inches to support different types of work: inward for keyboarding, outward for mousing.
- Pixelated Seat: Combines the performance features of suspension seating and the comfort features of foam and fabric, a key differentiator against competing chairs. The Embody seat is comprised of four different support layers—each with its own set of material properties, and each created with a different manufacturing process, all working together, orienting themselves to your shape with a degree of fidelity so high they even accommodate pockets. These layers were designed for airflow, keeping you cool and comfortable as you sit.
- Seat Depth: The seat depth can be adjusted from 15 inches to 18 inches and controlled by the front handles on the right and left sides of the seat.
- Seat Height: The translucent seat height joystick, located in center of tilt tension knob, can be angled in any direction to activate. Lift weight to raise the seat height; lower the height while seated.
- Balanced Recline: Embody’s tilt technology mimics your natural pivot points, lets you “dwell” comfortably in any position, and offers a unique “kicker” that lets you extend even farther back to stretch. The tilt tension is adjusted by turning the tilt tension knob, located at center right side of chair below seat.
- Backfit Adjustment: A central spine and flexible ribs align the backrest with your spine’s natural curve, so you achieve a neutral, balanced posture.
- Embody Tilt: Embody’s proprietary tilt technology keeps your back at a proper angle to the seat, allowing your body to move naturally into the most healthful seated
postures while keeping your pelvis stable.
- Posturefit: Embody’s PostureFit properly supports the base of your spine and keeps your pelvis tilted forward, preventing slouching and decreasing muscle fatigue while you sit.
- Pixelated Back: Unlike any conventional back design, the Embody Pixelated back conforms to your unique spinal curvature, providing targeted support. More along the spine where you need it, and less along the edges to encourage healthy upper body movement.
- Narrow back design promotes correct posture while allowing the freedom to move.
- Models with a graphite frame have a black back, and all others have a translucent back.
- Herman Miller 12 year warranty
- Die-cast aluminum frame and five-star base
- Medley (100% polyester) or Sync (100% polyester) fabric upholstery
- Casters for Carpet: Designed for use on low- to medium-pile carpet, such as commercial or Berber, this 2.5-inch diameter caster has wheels of durable black nylon.
- Casters for Hard Floor or Carpet: A versatile caster that can be used on hard surfaces such as wood, ceramic tile, vinyl tile, or carpeted floors, it is 2.5 inches in diameter and is made of durable black nylon with a soft polyurethane tread. The Soft tread gives the chair better traction and reduces noise on hard surfaces.
Embody is manufactured at a 100% Renewable Electric Energy facility and is made of 42% recycled materials; 95% recyclable at end of useful life. Recyclability refers to the portion of materials used in a product that can be recycled after the product is no longer functional.
- Height (in): 43.5
- Height Min (in): 42
- Width (in): 29.5
- Depth (in): 29
- Seat Height Min (in): 16
- Seat Height Max (in): 20.5
- Packaging Dimensions: 42” x 29.5” x 29”
- Package Weight: 68 lbs
A designer at Herman Miller’s Research Corporation who studied the work of physicians and scientists, Bill Stumpf learned everything he could about how human beings sit so that he could design a chair that really worked at work: the Aeron.
Bill Stumpf once defined design as “a means of creatively sustaining the arts of daily living in a technological world.” Unconcerned with fads, he was inspired by the challenge of easing the tensions that emerge where humanity meets technology—particularly at the office. That’s where Stumpf left an indelible legacy in the form of the Aeron Chair and the Ethospace System. He was also a leading design thinker, and there’s no shortage of Bill Stumpf quotes for those seeking inspiration. Like Henry Dreyfuss a generation earlier, he strove to understand how human beings moved so that he could design humane furniture for the real world. For him, it was less about how a Bill Stumpf chair looked than how it felt.
About Herman Miller
Founded in West Michigan in 1905, Herman Miller has grown to become a world-recognized furniture brand. As a design leader and furniture innovator, they’ve partnered with some of the most influential and iconic designers of the 20th century—designers like Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, Isamu Noguchi, Alexander Girard and more. In doing so, they’ve produced pieces that have become classics of industrial design, many of which are featured on permanent display in museums like the New York Museum of Contemporary Art (MoMA).
Herman Miller continued that legacy in 1994 by partnering with designers Bill Stumpf and Don Chadwick. They went about developing an office chair unlike any before it. Bringing together the latest in ergonomic research and design, they developed the legendary Classic Aeron chair, the best selling office chair in the world.
Today, Herman Miller continues that tradition of design forward thinking and innovation. Partnering with the next generation of industrial designers—such as Studio 7.5 and Yves Behar— as they tackle the ergonomic and anthropometric challenges we face in today’s modern work life.
We're an authorized Herman Miller retailer. This means we're official. We sell new factory-direct chairs complete with Herman Miller's own 12-year warranty. You can purchase confidently from Smart Furniture knowing you'll be receiving genuine Herman Miller product.
CARE AND MAINTAINANCE
Base, Frame, and Arms: Normal Cleaning Wash surface with a soft cloth soaked in mild detergent and warm water. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth. Do not use solvents or abrasive kitchen cleaners.
Fabrics (Normal Cleaning): Vacuum fabric as needed using an upholstery attachment. Vacuuming picks up dust and reduces the need for professional cleaning. Do not brush fabric or use a vacuum attachment with a rotary brush. Brushing may permanently damage the nap or change the character of the fabric.
Fabrics (Spot Cleaning): Immediately soak up the stain with a soft absorbent cloth. Do not dry the stain completely or it may set. The longer a stain is allowed to remain on a fabric, the more difficult it is to remove.
Water-based Stains such as coffee, soft drinks, fruit juices, or milk: Use a water-based cleaner (specifically made for cleaning fabric) or a solution of mild (alkaline) warm soapy water (not overly soapy) applied with a damp clean cloth or sponge. Work the cleaner into a lather or foam. Soak up all remaining solution and then use a clean cloth or sponge dipped in cool water to remove any residue. Never use hot water; it will set the stain. Avoid scrubbing.
Oil-based Stains such as lipstick, grease, or salad dressing: Use a dry cleaning solution applied with a damp clean cloth or sponge. Test the cleaning solution on a small, concealed area first. If there is no spotting, ringing, or damage to the fabric or its dyes, apply the cleaning solution to the soiled area with light, quick strokes. Begin at the outside of the stain and work toward the center, being careful not to oversaturate the fabric. K2R is also a product that can be used. See product label for complete instructions.
Do not over apply water or any liquid solution to fabric. Excessive wetting of the fabric with any liquid solution may result in permanent damage to the material. Do not rub too vigorously or you may damage the nap of the fabric or break fibers.
Several light applications are better than one heavy application. Soak up all remaining solution and then use another clean cloth or sponge dipped in cool water to remove any residue. Let fabric dry thoroughly and then vacuum well before using. If the stain resists cleaning, contact a professional cleaner.
Large Areas: If large areas are soiled, contact a professional cleaning firm.